For three years now, the Year Up Internship Program and Stanford IT community has hosted a number of Year Up interns, providing them with first-hand experience in the workforce. This month, we welcome a record number of 21 interns!
Year Up is a national organization, aiming to close the opportunity divide many diverse populations face by giving them the education and experience to reach their full potential and start their careers. Students spend six months learning and training in helpdesk/desktop support, project management, data analytics, quality assurance, and two new Bay Area tracks, HR information systems and Amazon Web Services. They are then placed in roles across the IT community here at Stanford, where they spend another six months honing their skills.
Throughout their journey, students are offered support and guidance to navigate their internships and plan their next steps. Once their year-long program has concluded, these young adults are qualified and prepared to enter the Stanford and Bay Area workforce. Year Up is an integral part of the CIO Council strategic initiative, IDEAL IT, which ensures we help build a diverse, inclusive space for the future.
“This is the seventh cohort we’ve sponsored here at Stanford and the largest one yet. That, to me, shows that people are willing to take action in support of the IDEAL IT and IDEAL initiatives,” said Hope Johnson, Year Up partnership lead.
Nine Stanford IT units are excited to provide 21 opportunities. The Graduate School of Business and the Vice Provost Office for Student Affairs join the program welcoming their first Year Up interns. This expansion represents Stanford IT’s growing commitment to helping close the opportunity divide and diversify Stanford’s talent pipeline.
“In partnership with the CIO Council, the Year Up internship program affords Stanford’s IT community a unique opportunity to 'walk the talk' in recruiting a pipeline of talent that reflects the diversity of our Bay Area community,” said Steve Gallagher, Chief Information Officer at Stanford and executive sponsor for the Year Up Internship program at Stanford. “I’m delighted to see this program continue to grow and prosper across Stanford as part of our IDEAL IT program.”
This Year’s Interns
- America Armenta, Graduate School of Business
- Miguel Membreno Davila, University IT
- Cindy Li, service strategy, University IT
- Marco Medina, University IT
- Patricia Barrera, University IT
- Hanna Yimer, University IT
- Julian Borceguin, University IT
- Arvin Dela Cruz, University IT
- Anthony Balleza, SLAC
- Christian Espiritu, SLAC
- Daniel Gonzalez, SLAC
- Abhiram Sai Manda, Land, Buildings & Real Estate
- Michael Vazquez, Stanford University Libraries
- Koairera McFadden (Koko), Residential & Dining Enterprises
- Nathan Schank Residential and Dining Enterprises
- Jacqueline (Jacky) Espinoza, Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs
- Weston Cao, Technology & Digital Solutions
- Gabriel Chavez, Technology & Digital Solutions
- Monserratt Camacho, Technology & Digital Solutions
- Shelia Jenkins, The School of Humanities and Sciences